Re: Article: Study Says Security Expertise In Short Supply

From: ron (ronat_private)
Date: Tue Nov 27 2001 - 18:07:35 PST

    from the article:

    By analyzing the 4.5 million online tests and certifications taken on the

          Brainbench site during the last 12 months, the firm's Cyber Defense
    IQ
          Report shows disaster recovery and planning, with only 111
    certified
          professionals in the nation, to be the weakest of the five skill
    sets analyzed.
          "With disaster recovery, the truth is everyone thinks someone else
    is doing
          it," says Mike Russiello, Brainbench's president and CEO.

    intersting 'study' they preformed, great marketing hype for them also.
    But, it's an old rant, not really supported by the IT industry.  Face it,
    companies are not really into security as of yet.  sure many are putting
    up perimiter defenses, and yet, howmany are really securing their exposed
    web and mail systems?  How many find their DNS servers hacked  to pieces
    weekly?  And even the US government is sorely lacking in any real sense
    of dealing with securing their systems, just look at the GAO reports on
    government sites for the past two  to three years.  It's surprising how
    few comapnies really take security seriously untill they are hit in the
    backside, and then it's a battle all the way to the desktop to impliment
    polices and get the employees to comply.  One of the most common rants in
    the firewalls related lists is: "how do I stop our users from breaking
    our policy and doing this nasty thing on the internet/web". I,plyiong
    that there is no real buy in and support from upper mgt in
    implimentation.  It's a pity, but, it's a fact.

    Thanks,

    Ron DuFresne

    --
             admin & senior consultant:  darkstar.sysinfo.com