What are my chances of getting a job?

From: Walter Anderson (walteranderson2112at_private)
Date: Tue Nov 27 2001 - 18:30:32 PST

    I have a BS in Physics and a little over a year of security software
    development.  I also have another 6 months or so of regular software
    development experience.  Do I have a chance of getting a security job or
    should I wait tables for a while until the market picks back up?  I've been
    spinning my wheels for about 4 months now and I would give up if it weren't
    for the whole Sept 11th thing.  I know there is a pretty significant demand
    for security talent, but do I have enough experience (since my degree is
    unrelated) to have a decent chance now or should I give the job search a
    rest for a while?

    Any insight would be appreciated.

    Walter Anderson

    EDUCATION B.S., Physics (1999) NCSU - Raleigh, NC

    SKILLS
       Operating Systems - Linux, various UNIX flavors, Windows NT/2000,
    Windows 95/98, Windows 3.1, DOS
       Languages - Python, HTML, SQL, C, CFML (Cold Fusion), DTML (Zope), Shell
    scripts, Batch files, FORTRAN, Maple V; and a little bit of: Perl,
    javascript, Scheme, awk, sed
       Software Tools
         UNIX/Linux - vi (for Python, perl, shell scripts, etc.), Apache (with
    and without Raven SSL), Oracle, mysql
         Windows - Pythonwin 1.5.2 - 2.0, Full administrative installs of
    Oracle, SQL Server 7.0 and Microsoft Access, Apache, Cold Fusion, Sniffer,
    Visual Source Safe
         Graphics - Photoshop, Poser, Bryce, 3D Studio Max, Illustrator, Power
    Goo, Fireworks, Xara
       Technologies - Linux and Windows Programming, Object-Oriented Analysis
    and Design, CGI and various other methods for interactive web programming,
    database interaction and design, cryptography

    EXPERIENCE
    Senior Software Systems Engineer (5/00-7/01)
    Global Integrity - Reston, Virginia
    Extended an existing monitoring system to gather and parse data from a new
    IDS type
    Designed and implemented data-driven web interfaces to monitoring services
    Designed a monitoring, analysis, reporting, and info sharing system for a
    new firewall type
    Converted a service from CGI using Python, Apache and mysql on Linux to
    Cold Fusion using Apache and Access on Windows
    Analyzed security requirements and researched 3rd party security tools for
    compliance
    Many small programming tasks, glue code, shell scripts, automation and such
    Webmaster for several months
    Reason for leaving - laid off

    MS Access Programmer (6/99-10/99)
    Vector Technologies - Greensboro, NC
    Converted an old database to Access
    Developed an application suite for use by one of Vector Technologies' clients
    Developed a set of forms and reports to give the user easy access to
    specific information
    Wrote many macros and some SQL code to put it all together
    Reason for leaving - finished project

    MS Access Programmer (6/96-8/96)
    Allied Signal - Moncure, NC
    Consulted with engineers to determine system requirements
    Wrote database to replace a custom made database using Microsoft Access
    Created user interface to replace and improve the existing reporting interface
    Demonstrated systems to all engineers who would be using them
    Reason for leaving - summer job only