Re: Recruiter Experiences

From: Jay Abshier (jayat_private)
Date: Thu Jan 03 2002 - 17:16:36 PST

    Here are a couple of interview horror stories.  I've worked at the same
    company for 20 years, and hadn't interviewed in that many, so I was a little
    surprised at how some companies can be so unprofessional.

    Company 1:
    Interviewed on Saturday for Director of Security position (they didn't want
    the incumbent to know he was getting the axe).  It started at 7AM before I
    could get any breakfast.  They placed me in a conference room with a card
    key access door between me and the restroom and break room.  I had TWO one
    hour slots during the day without an interview during which I sat in the
    conference room and stared at the wall.  Finally, they gave me 1 hour to get
    to the airport to catch a flight on one airline, with 40 minutes at
    Dallas-FtWorth airport to change to a different airline for my flight home.
    Plus: this was the second head of security that was getting the axe in two
    years, and they were tiffed when I questioned the cause.

    Company 2:
    Interviewed for CSO job, and had long phone interview where they emphasized
    that they were looking for an accomplished business person knowledgeable of
    security.  Past head of security was a military techie who just didn't work
    out.   At the on-site interview they emphasize technical, hands-on skills
    and announce they are looking for a techie...

    Jay Abshier, CISSP