Re: Would that be appropriate content for securityjobs list? (fwd)

From: Alfred Huger (ahat_private)
Date: Wed Jan 30 2002 - 10:33:29 PST

    Hey folks,

    A user of the list asked me to fwd this message on to the list. Here you
    go.

    My long (4.5 months) security job search just turned successful so I
    decided to post some curious statistics for the enjoyment of esteemed
    list members.

    Time spent: 4 months and 12 days of near full time job searching.

    Position sought: mid-level technical

    Methods used (order of decreasing efficiency):
    1. Friends
    2. Company web pages
    3. Job sites
    4. Recruiting firms

    Offer received: 1
    Interviews: 4
    Phone interviews: 4 (not counting those resulted in regular interviews)
    Interview offers rejected: 3
    (was invited after job acceptance)

    Interviews, phone interviews and interview offers resulted from:

    Friends and connections: 3 (all good in-person interviews)
    Response to posting in this list: 2 (from these 1 offer accepted)
    Direct application to position on company website: 6
    Direct application based on monster posting: 1
    Recruiters: 0

    More details:

    Resume given to friends: ~10-20
     interviews: 3
    Unsolicited resumes sent to jobs@company: ~50-70
     interviews: 0
    Resumes submitted thru job sites: ~70-100
     interviews: 1
    Resumes sent in response to positions on company sites: ~50
     interviews: 6
    Resumes sent to recruiters: ~20-30
     interviews: 0

    Job websites used to post profile: 10
    Job sites viewed regularly: monster, hotjobs, dice, computerjobs

    Companies that were willing to interview/hire: managed security
    services, security software vendors, financial, manufacturing,
    IT R&D, universities.

    So what got me the job was this list!! However, the most effective way was
    to utilize my professional contacts (hehe, kinda evident). Using job sites
    might be effective if you are willing to live with a tiny yield. Finally,
    while I would not want to start another round of recruiter bashing on this
    list, but my experience shows that they CAN be totally useless. It is
    rather unfortunate and counter-intuitive, but even using monster was more
    effective than "professional" search firms. I had my share of fun
    recruiter encounters...