RE: no contact

From: Schmehl, Paul L (paulsat_private)
Date: Tue Feb 05 2002 - 10:35:07 PST

    I just went through the hiring grind (I was the manager hiring a tech),
    and I can tell you a few things to watch out for.

    First of all, there are a *lot* of resumes out there right now, so
    understand that you have a lot of competition.  This means that you have
    to do something to stand out from the crowd so you'll be noticed.

    1) Don't send a "generic" resume.  Tailor your resume for the company
    you're sending it to.  This can mean as little as a well-written,
    targeted cover letter to as much as completely rewriting your summary of
    qualifications.  You are a product.  Make the package appealing to *me*.

    2) Don't give a laundry list of things you done or know.  Frankly, when
    I see multiple lines (or even paragraphs) of software, etc.  (Like
    Experienced with Quattro Pro, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, vi,
    emacs, PIX firewalls, ISS RealSecure, TCP/IP, blah, blah, blah), my eyes
    glaze over and I start moving to the next resume.  Unless the hiring
    company is looking for specific experience (which you *should* mention),
    you don't need to list every single software package you've ever used.

    3) Do organize your resume with headers for each section, so it's easy
    to spot the things the hiring manager is looking for.  Nothing gets a
    resume in the trash faster than a full page or pages of text with
    nothing separating it.

    4) Do list accomplishments *that relate to* the job you're seeking.
    What you've *done* is more important than what you *know* and it needs
    to relate to what I need.  You might be the greatest firewall guy in the
    world, but if I'm looking for a policy guy, you need to address policy
    development, not firewall administration.

    5) Use whitespace to organize your resume (as I've done with this list.)
    It's much easier to scan a resume that is broken into logical sections
    than one that "runs on" line after line.

    6) Create a "professional" looking resume.  Nothing screams "hire me"
    more than a well done, well organized resume.  Nothing screams "don't
    hire me" more than a resume with grammatical and spelling errors, poor
    organization or lack of focus.  Remember, your resume is your first
    impression.  If it isn't a good one, you may not ever get the chance to
    make another impression, especially when resumes are a dime a dozen.

    7) Give *serious* thought to how your experience and knowledge relates
    to the position you're applying for and make those connections in your
    resume.  The same individual can make themselves look like an admin for
    an admin position and a security pro for a security pro position.  It
    all depends on how you package the experience and knowledge you have.
    (I'm not telling anyone to "fudge" or "lie" though.  That won't get you
    anywhere.)  Really *think* about how you can relate yourself to the job
    description.

    8) Most importantly, be honest about your capabilities.  I'll hire a guy
    who's honest and admits that he lacks something *before* I'll hire a guy
    who claims he rules the world.  But word it well.  For example,
    "Although I haven't managed the development of policies, my input has
    been invaluable in the development of them."  This sounds much better
    than, "have been on policy development committee".

    Paul Schmehl (paulsat_private)
    Supervisor of Support Services
    The University of Texas at Dallas
    AVIEN Founding Member