Re:what to do if you get stuck with a terrible recruiter

From: Joyce Brocaglia (altaassociates1at_private)
Date: Tue Mar 12 2002 - 07:14:29 PST

    Leon,
    Thanks for taking the time to clarify your statement. Candidates and
    recruiters alike have been going through
    a very difficult 6 months. The downturn in the economy has forced many
    companies to initiate hiring
    freezes which have made it increasingly difficult for security
    professionals searching for a new opportunity.
    A good recruiter maintains relationships with hiring managers and
    candidates through the ups and downs of the market. In recent months the
    amount of inquiries for positions has been far greater than the
    positions available to fill. This has caused tremendous frustration to
    many security professionals, especially those who are unemployed. For
    those who have geographic limitations, are non-degreed, or not
    technically proficient in new technologies, the burden of finding a  job
    in this increasingly competitive market is substantially greater. You
    must understand that it is to a recruiters best interest to actually
    find a candidate a job, as that is how we are compensated.  But more
    importantly, our greatest satisfaction comes from the ability to
    introduce security professionals to life enhancing opportunities that
    they would never had uncovered were it not for our assistance. We have
    the distinct pleasure of assisting people to change their lives for the
    better. I find it is the bonds that are formed during this process that
    provide real fulfillment. If not for that, I'm sure I  could make as
    much money selling a product with a lot less variables. It is the client
    companies that pay our bills, but it is the assistance of a recruiters
    network of  security professionals that allow us to get the job done.
    Developing a rapport with a recruiter is mutually beneficial. It will
    increase your chances of being the first contacted on an opportunity.
    When you search for a recruiter, interview them about their past
    performance and client base, and only send them your resume if you feel
    confident in their ability to represent you properly. The sign of a
    successful recruiter is one that has many years of experience in the
    industry, gained from the development of relationships built on trust,
    confidence combined with the ability to produce results. It is possible
    for a inexperienced or unethical recruiter to do you more harm than
    good. If you have any doubts, ask them for references of clients or
    candidates that they have worked with. Recruiters are people that can
    have a significant impact on your future, don't just mass mail your
    resume, give it the respect it deserves as it is a reflection of your
    many years of hard work.
    We are just beginning to see an increase in open job requisitions. As
    the market improves, it is important that candidates establish a
    relationship with a recruiter that they feel has credibility within the
    industry,  and is someone that they
    can develop a rapport with. If you haven't established such a
    relationship, now is the time.

    --
    Joyce Brocaglia, CEO
    Alta Associates Inc.