Re: Strong Writing Skills

From: Andrew Boncek (andrewat_private)
Date: Tue Mar 12 2002 - 11:52:55 PST

    Darian,
        Hopefully, I can share a few experiences on my
    own in writing skills and how it involves.  I try to be
    as "bi-lingual" as I can, i.e. being able to speak techie
    and being able to speak the analytical/decision maker
    actionable items.  It is a tricky and winding path, but
    personally very interesting and rewarding.  As such, I
    have emphasized analyzing on the very technical
    aspects of an issue and the "big picture" or very
    consise threat/actionable item needs.
         There are numerous areas within INFOSEC that
    require a clear and concise explanation of threats and
    the ability to communicate these effectively to a broad
    audience.  For example, national-level threat
    documents require detailed analysis and the
    audience can vary from a single individual to senior
    decision makers.  Each audience has their own
    interests and needs, and the document must
    communicate effectively to all by guiding the reader to
    a clear, actionable conclusion. Usually, this has to be
    all within one document!
        As such, some of the areas I would recommend
    that you get involved with in either creating or at least
    assiting with would be:

    - Analytical threat documents
    - Security advisories
    - Risk assessments
    - Senior executive/decision maker briefings
    - User advisories
    - Standards and Guidelines
    - "Technical/analytical observations"

         The last part takes some explaining.  In the great
    teams I've been involved with, there's an "informal"
    reporting system that we use.  For example,
    everyone typically forwards a news story to a
    colleague, friend, etc.   These simple opportunities
    can be a great way to share your personal unique
    knowledge on an item by offering up some advice or
    observations on the impact of the change, an
    evolving trend, or simply a recommendation on an
    action.
        I'm not sure which area your organization focuses
    on, but hopefully one of these areas will be available
    for you to gain experience in.
        In addition, many times, a threat will require an
    immediate briefing or analytical product to This not
    only applies to government, but to industry,
    education, any service involved in systems in
    general.  The pervasiveness of computers and the
    speed at which systems can be affected require
    clear, immediate attention to the threats.  As an
    engineer, you may be tasked to provide the technical
    portion of the threat that may need to be distributed to
    the entire organization.
       Any or all of these areas would be excellent to hone
    your developing writing skills.  Each of these areas is
    a unique challenge to communicate the problems we
    all face getting our message across to decision
    makers.   For each of these areas, there are
    numerous examples I can recommend offhand taking
    a look at (some of which I've been involved with):

    -  NIPC Advisories:
    http://www.nipc.gov/publications/highlights/highlights.h
    tm

    - CIAO (several threat documents):
    http://www.ciao.gov/

    - NIST Security Guidelines (NIST is tasked with
    creating security guidelines and standards):
    http://csrc.nist.gov/publications/drafts.html

    - NIPC CyberNotes:
    http://www.nipc.gov/cybernotes/cybernotes.htm

    - CERT (the obvious advisories): http://www.cert.org/

    - Any of the many security mailing lists

    - This site!

       Reading and studying the writing styles in each of
    these publications is a great way to learn the writing
    skills necessary for INFOSEC publications.
       .At any rate, hope this helps somewhat in where to
    find information INFOSEC examples of "strong
    writing skills"!  Good luck!

    Regards,
    Andrew Boncek
    UNISYS