Software Reverse Engineering Guru (Brisbane, Australia) available for remote work

From: Dr. Cipher (cipherat_private)
Date: Thu Apr 11 2002 - 19:05:51 PDT

        My name is Yarrow Charnot. I live in Brisbane, Australia, for the last two
    years until present on a part time contract as a consultant for VASCO Data
    Security:

        - researching new ways to break, secure and improve all kinds of
    authentication procedures and protocols (mainly focused on web and LAN
    authentication)

        - integrating hardware token authentication into native and not so native
    LANMAN / NTLM / kerberos / MSCHAP / RADIUS for NT4 and 2000 domain controllers

        - analysing security of VACMAN Server and other hardware and software
    products to advise on their possible integration

        - designing and implementing secure intermodule communication based on AES
    and DH-3072 / ECDH-512 PKI that I have developed for them (Windows, Linux,
    Solaris)

        - designing and implementing licensing and copy-protection

        - solving problems developers get stuck with, mainly analysing and debugging
    their code with SoftICE, IDA, Hiew and gdb

        - educating developers on security-conscious development as security of the
    product depends on every single part of it

        My main area of expertise is software reverse engineering (cracking) that
    requires strong skills in disassembly, code analysis, code optimization,
    cryptography, cryptanalysis, mathematics, programming in Assembly and C/PASCAL
    and requires a deep knowledge of computer architecture and an ability to
    read/analyse/modify/rewrite code written in any programming language, which I
    all possess.

        Since the best reverse engineering (IDA, SoftICE, etc) and IDE development
    (MSVC and Borland C/Pascal) tools and the most of work is done in DOS/Windows
    environment (Linux is mainly open source anyway), I spend most of the time using
    Windows. I don't mind using Linux or Solaris and gdb on them, but my knowledge
    of Unix systems is on a user/cracker level so far, so I would not qualify as a
    *nix administrator or as a good *nix developer.

        By now I have an unmatched knowledge of Windows NT internals knowing some of
    its areas better than its developers as I often see flaws in its code that
    weren't apparent in the source. I can advise on design, development and analysis
    of copy-protection systems, device drivers, secure communication, strong
    authentication, exploits, worms, viruses, trojans, undocumented features,
    unpublished proprietary algorithms, protocols and data formats. Please don't
    confuse me with a hacker, a script-kiddie or an academic "security consultant".
    Although I am only 30 years old, I have 17 years of experience of breaking
    secure computer systems and copy-protection and anti-debugging software
    beginning with PDP-11 and IBM-360/370 back in 1984-1986. As the matter of fact,
    I can even determine the IQ level of the software developers just by looking at
    their compiled code even though it has been optimized by the compiler.

        I am single, so I'm available to travel anywhere in the world for a week or
    two at any time, but I don't want to move to another area. I love Brisbane -
    it's the best place to live in the universe according to my around the globe
    travelling experience. My preference is working from home reversing code and
    integrating the results of my research into other products (absolutely without
    infringing any copyright laws as I never make illegal copies of the products to
    analyse them, I just look at the code and I rewrite it all myself optimizing it
    without using any copyrighted parts). Australian laws specifically permit
    software reverse engineering, so American employers please don't be put off by
    my Australian residence. I have lived in the USA for 3 years in quite a few
    states and I feel very comfortable getting around the place - I can drive
    without a map in Los Angeles, Washington DC, all over Florida and I have driven
    across 20 states.

        The best ways to contact me are e-mail yarrow @ charnot.com (without
    anti-spamming spaces), ICQ No 527342, EFnet on IRC, or my cell phone (+61 421
    580 623). I can send a more detailed resume if necessary. Please only serious
    offers, no resume requests to place me in your database.