Looking for security management or presales position

From: christopher michael (listsat_private)
Date: Wed Jun 05 2002 - 09:40:46 PDT

    Crotch rot got us with our pants down.  It is 1992 and I'm Associate
    Director of Academic Computing.  An acne-encrusted freshman script-kiddie
    (handle: Crotch Rot) just got root on Northwestern University's primary
    mail machine.  Whose mail is he reading?  Everyone's. The Deans are not
    happy:  "Michael, fix this now!"  That was my introduction to Internet
    security.

    It's six years later.  Network Associate's Channel Program Launch is not
    going well.  I'm there because I'm building a security and
    Internet-services practice for RMS in Chicago.  Eighty or so of us are in a
    room for firewall certification training, but the presenter is clueless and
    people are threatening to riot.  The VP of Channel Sales stands up, "We'll
    make it right," he promises.  Casually, I offer my assistance to the
    product manager.  He accepts.  After lunch, I'm on stage giving the
    training (the presenter and his manager having suddenly left the company
    just before dessert).  A couple of months later I'm recruited by Network
    Associates to build technical relationships with security channel partners
    and manage their security certification program.

    Michael's law:  The sophistication of a town is inversely proportional to
    the number of auto parts stores on its outskirts.  Before I got my MBA from
    the Kellogg School at Northwestern-and stayed on after graduation to lead
    the school from punch cards to networks-I was a Top-40 bandleader.  Despite
    a near total lack of talent as a bass player, I kept us working and met the
    payroll-my kind of music.  It was an interesting life-I got stuffed into an
    ice machine once-but that's a different story.   As it turns out, managing
    musicians was good training for managing technical folks; working with
    either is sort of like herding cats.  By the way, the computing services my
    team provided for Kellogg helped make it Business Week's #1 school.

    Interestingly enough, #1 is also the score my international team of
    security engineers-who I recruited, trained and had in the field in less
    than six weeks-received on an independent customer satisfaction survey
    commissioned by TruSecure.  TruSecure is a managed security services
    company where I was hired as an SE and then promoted to Director, Field
    Security Operations.  The COO was overheard to tell my boss that his task
    was to get people "half as good as mine" for the rest of his teams.  What
    my boss told the COO was not recorded.

    Let's talk.

    {
    }