College graduate wih experience seeks development position

From: Patrick Fitzgerald (fitzgepnat_private)
Date: Thu Jun 06 2002 - 08:18:40 PDT

    In my last semester at Purdue, I singlehandedly wrote
    a VPN alternative tailored to wireless networks which
    provides strong authentication and encryption -- in
    800 lines of portable C code. Now I've graduated and
    I'm looking to put the skills I've developed in my
    college career as well as 4+ years of diverse
    experience to use in the security industry.

    The ideal job is light on buzzwords and heavy on real
    development; solving new and interesting problems, not
    using 'solutions' which solve nothing. I want to drive
    the next market trend, not follow it. Whether you are
    a startup, a Fortune 500 or anywhere in between, I am
    ready to take on whatever development challenges your
    business has to offer. Relocation is not a problem,
    travel is great, and I'm available immediately.

    Call or email me to see how I can put my talents to
    use for you!

            Patrick N. Fitzgerald (fitzgepnat_private)
            4500 W. 126th St.
            Zionsville, IN 46077
            (317) 873-0798

    Objective:
    ----------
    To continue my career with a stable, long-term
    position in the fields of information security and
    networking; To use my problem solving and
    interpersonal skills to advance the state of
    technology in these fields.

    Skills:
    -------
    -Object oriented, procedural, and functional
    programming.
    -Cryptography and Information security.
    -Unix system programming, networking and
    administration.
    -Broad experience with Open Source and Free Software
    solutions.
    -Spanish language, written and spoken.

    Education:
    ----------
    Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN.
    B.S. in Computer Science with Minor in Psychology.
    Received May 2002. GPA: 2.8/4.0

    Work Experience:
    ----------------
    -Software Engineer, Center for Education and Research
    in Information Assurance and Security (CERIAS), Purdue
    University (05/01 -- present)
      --Developed MySQL/PHP/Apache three-tiered web
    database for security incident response and management
    (https://cirdb.cerias.purdue.edu/) including design,
    implementation, verification, security audit, and code
    review.
      --Implemented support for Snort network intrusion
    detection system in CIRDB project.

    -Technician/Consultant, Bussert Consulting, Inc, 605
    Main St, Lafayette, IN 47901. (04/00 -- 02/01)
      --Development, troubleshooting, support, deployment,
    and configuration of FreeBSD-based firewall product.
      --Configuration, installation, support, and planning
    of office network systems including cabling, network
    equipment, workstations, and servers in Windows
    environments.

    -Engineering Co-op, Rockwell Collins, Inc, 835 35th
    St, Cedar Rapids, IA 52418. (01/99-12/99)
      --Design and implementation of PC-based automated
    test equipment for multi-function display units
    supporting a wide variety of avionics data busses in
    National Instruments LabView and TestStand platforms.
      --Requirements analysis of embedded test platform
    for display backlight unit.

    -Student Developer, Engineering Computing Network
    (ECN), Purdue University (08/98-12/98)
      --Developed Perl/Tk user interface for automation of
    system administration tasks.

    -Database Manager GE Information Services/Ameritech
    Cosmos-to-Switch
    Conversion, 240 North Meridian St, Indianapolis, IN.
      --Developed automation programs for error correction
    and data conversion using Perl, Visual C++, Bourne
    shell, sed, and awk in NIX-based legacy database
    conversion project.
      --Performed basic system administration tasks on
    legacy UNIX mainframe systems.

    Software:
    ---------
    Programming Languages:
    C, C++, PHP, SQL, Perl, Java, Javascript, Scheme,
    LabView, Prolog, MIPS assembly, Forth, lex, yacc,
    Bourne shell, sed, awk, HTML, XML.

    Operating Systems:
    Linux (Debian, Mandrake, RedHat), FreeBSD, OpenBSD,
    NetBSD, SunOS, Solaris, HP/UX, IRIX, MacOS (including
    OS X), Windows 3.1/95/98/NT/2000/XP, MS-DOS.

    Software Packages:
    Apache web server, MySQL server, Snort network IDS,
    Cisco IOS, sendmail, PGP, GPG, SSH, vi, openssl, X
    windows system, Photoshop, non-linear video editing,
    Unix shells, National Instruments TestStand, LaTeX,
    Corel WordPerfect, Microsoft Office, Visio, nmap,
    MySQL, GCC, make, cvs.

    Network Protocols:
    TCP/IP, UDP, SSL, DHCP, DNS, HTTP, FTP, SMTP, PPP,
    routing, firewalling.

    Hardware:
    ---------
    Networking:
    Cisco switches and routers, 10/100Base-T and 10Base2
    Ethernet, DSL.

    Databusses: ARINC 429/453/708, MIL-STD-1553, RS-232,
    GPIB, RS-170, NTSC, PAL.

    Workstations: PC compatible, Apple, X terminals, Sun,
    SGI, serial terminals.