Seeking a career in IT security in Singapore,Asia pacific[GSEC,CC NP,CCNA,B.A.Sc(Comp Eng)]

From: Rick Tan (smercurysgat_private)
Date: Wed Jul 24 2002 - 03:40:57 PDT

    Dear Sir/Mdm,

    I would like to express my keen interest in a career in IT security.

    I understand that such jobs would require one to comprehend massive
    technical information and hence I have attained CCNP to supplement my
    Degree in Computer Engineering. To further my knowledge of IT security,I
    recently obtained GIAC Security Essentials Certification (GSEC). Through
    which, i have acquired skills related to the installation, configuration
    and usage of IT security tools like NMAP, Nessus, Tripwire and Tcpdump. In
    addition, I was also able to build on my knowledge in Unix and Windows
    Administration. As part of the GSEC requirements, I have also written a
    paper on “Securing The Network With Cisco Router”. I have 1.5 years of
    experience in application development of various projects including
    network management solutions, which provided me with a good understanding
    of computer networks. I believe this will be useful when understanding
    vulnerabilities and ways to secure them.

    I am confident that my skill sets would provide me with a strong
    foundation to take up any security related position and allow me to
    contribute immediately.

    I have attached my resume and hope that you will find my qualifications
    desirable, and will consider me as a future employee. I may be reached at
    (65)67959590/(65)96570850 and will be available for interview at the time
    of your convenience.

    Thank you for your time. Looking forward to your favourable reply.

    Sincerely,
    Rick Tan
    Resume:

    Rick Tan Bang Shuh
    Blk 657A Jurong West Street 65
    #03-682, Singapore 641657
    (65)67959590/(65)96570850
    Email: smercurysgat_private

    OBJECTIVE:
    To pursue a career in Information Technology security.

    CAPABILTIES:
     Conversant with Cisco router hardening
     Familiar with IT security tools:
     Vulnerability scanning tools: NMAP, Legion, Nessus
     Host-based intrusion detection tools: Tripwire, PortSentry, Zone Alarm
    firewall
     Network-based intrusion detection tools: Tcpdump, Snort
     Good understanding of TCP/IP and networking technologies like routing,
    swiching and internet connectivity
     Exposed to Lan/Wan/Security Protocols like RIP, IGRP,OSPF,IPSec
     Familiar with Cisco products and their administration
     Able to perform penetration testing/security auditing using NMAP and
    Nessus
     Possess knowledge of common security vulnerabilites such as buffer
    overflow
     Familiar with Windows NT/2000 hardening and IIS hardening
     Competent in Linux and Windows 98/2000/NT Operating Systems

    SOFTWARE SKILLS:
     Experience in both procedural and object-oriented programming
     Well-versed in programming languages: C/C++, Java
     Familiar with TCP/IP Client-Server Programming

    PROFESSIONAL CERTIFICATIONS:
     GIAC Security Essentials Certification (GSEC)
     Wrote a practical on “Securing The Network With Cisco Router” as part of
    GSEC requirements
     Will provide copy of the practical and passing proof upon request.
     Cisco Certified Network Professional (CCNP)
     Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA)

    WORK EXPERIENCE:
     Software Engineer, TELLABS, Optical Networking Group, Bolingbrook
    Illinois USA, January 2001 – June 2002
     Actively involved in the development of Client-Server based Network
    Management Solutions for the Titan 6500 product line
     Part of the team responsible for the development of Craft Station (a
    thick client network management solution for Titan 6500) which was release
    in October 2001.
     Performed development on both Unix and Windows platforms.

    EDUCATION:
     NANYANG TECHNOLOGICAL UNIVERSITY, Singapore, July 1997 – June 2000
     Awarded Degree of Bachelor of Applied Science in Computer Engineering
    (Passed with merit)
     Dean’s List during 1st year
     Selected for accelerated honours.
     NGEE ANN POLYTECHNIC, Singapore, July 1992 – June 1995
     Received Diploma in Computer and Electronic Engineering
     Awarded a book prize for best performance in Electrical Engineering
    module
     Committe member of Amature Electronics Club
     TANGLIN SECONDARY SCHOOL, Singapore, January 1988 – November 1991
     GCE ‘O’ Levels

    PERSONAL DATA:
     27 years old, Single, Singaporean
     Completed National Service