RE: Sr. Security Consultants

From: Robert Duchouquette (rgd1at_private)
Date: Mon Aug 19 2002 - 18:04:02 PDT

    Micheal,
    I have seen a similar melt-down in the Dallas area market.

    Charles,
    I do not see much opportunity consulting for security services
    companies.  Even though improving information security is a high
    priority for most companies, shrinking IT budgets have made most firms
    internalize or scrap projects that were once outsourced to high paid
    professional services orgainzations.  Jobs with security companies are
    scarce, salaries have fallen while requirements for certifications and
    experience are more demanding than ever.  The market will never be as
    strong as it was in the late 90's and the recovery will be VERY slow.

    I was a security consultant for INS/Lucent Technologies laid off Feb
    2002.  It took about a month of networking and learning via trial and
    error how to sell security services.  I have found good opportunities
    with small-meduim sized firms (50-200 nodes) that my past employer
    ignored.  Security services may not command $200+/hour rates in this
    market, but I can live on 160/hour if I am not sharing the cash with
    sales/management.  I have several clients now and have the pipe full
    going into 2003.

    In dealing with smaller clients, I have had to be more flexible and
    cover all disciplines (perimeter security, hostile code scanning,
    anti-virus, etc.)  I have has much success with combined firewall,
    anti-virus, HTTP scanning devices are more cost effective than the
    enterprise scale solutions that many of us are more familiar with.
    Fixed price service offerings have opened many doors with smaller
    companies (vulnerability scanning, assessment services, etc.)

    As geeks, we can communicate at a technical level all day.  If you can
    articulate your services at the executive level, manage customer
    expectations, etc., then I would recommend you try it on your own as an
    independent consultant.

    I have found many opportunities in Dallas and surrounding areas.

    Good luck in your search!

    Robert Duchouquette
    CCSE CISSP MCSE