RE: Sr. Security Consultants

From: Jim Utkin (utkinat_private)
Date: Mon Aug 19 2002 - 17:09:49 PDT

    Long term consulting (I.e. 12 month contracts) seems to be a good trend
    right now. I have switched jobs three times in the last 12 month, and
    currently have a 12 month contract outside the security arena, because I
    found security opportunities to be very few and the pay was actually
    worse then a non-security contract I currently hold.

    But for those of us, who have been around for 10+ years, knows that the
    IT market goes through this every 3-5 years. Last time the IT market was
    depressed was 94-97, then it had a good 3 year run.

    I do not believe that the so called analysts that say we are on a
    rebound are full of themselves or on drugs, I believe we are just now
    reaching the recession delta, and it will be another 12-18 months before
    we fully recover.

    If I would to give advice, it would be very simple, take what you can
    afford, and keep your certs and skills up on the side. Keep your resume
    well written and take assignments that will keep you busy and learning.
    If you hold out for pay you had 2 or even 1 year ago, you will stay
    unemployed.

    Also learn to interview! Most of my friends lose a job to someone else
    because they do not have interviewing skills. Buy a book or two from
    Amazon, and work on your communications skills. In this tight market,
    communication skills rate above technical skills. There is 10 guys our
    there with your technical skills, only 1 or 2 has well polished
    communication skills.

    Just my .02 cents :)