Re: Salary Ranges and Posting: From a Corporate Tech Recruiter

From: Eric Johanson (SecurityFocusat_private)
Date: Tue Sep 24 2002 - 13:29:03 PDT

    <Some comments inline>

    On 23 Sep 2002, Lisa Hylas wrote:

    --snip--

    > As a corporate tech recruiter in South Florida, the salaries are about 25%
    > lower than the DC, CA, WA, and NY metropolitan areas.  However, we do not
    > have state income tax here and cost of real estate balances this out.  I
    > personally moved from CT and took a 25% cut from my NYC salary (when I was
    > in an infrastructure management position).  But it evens out in the long
    > run.  It's the sticker shock that gets you!

    WA has no state income tax.  I suspect the variation of salaries is
    primarily based on supply & demand.

    > Also - market/economic conditions make this a buyers market.  However, and
    > this is a BIG however - recruiters are not out to nickle and dime
    > professionals because of this.  We know that if you don't offer a salary
    > that the candidate is worth, come Q1 2003 our hires will be walking out
    > the door. And guess who has to replace that person?

    You would replace them..   But here is where I show my demonstrated lack
    of trust with headhunters (This is not at all directed to Lisa Hylas, as
    I have never worked with her):

    Headhunters make money with churn.  Each headhunter has different
    policies, but some of them are quite aggressive.  Here is some of the stuff
    I've seen:

    Contract Labor: 33-50% markup typical.
    Contact to Perm: 30-50% 1 year salary due at 'signing'
    New Perm hire: 30-40% 1 year salary due at 2-6months from hire date.

    Most of the time, it's close to impossible to find out this type of
    information in advance when dealing with a new headhunter, so it helps to
    ask around...

    Anyway, my point is that churn is _very_ good business for headhunters,
    and I doubt any of them would really mind finding new people, provided
    they've made their cash on the last one.   They are not out to nickle &
    dime the professionals - - - they are out after the companies.

    > My two cents:  I believe the best way to apply for a position is to
    > include current and requested salary and attach a resume as a Word or .rtf
    > document.   I also believe that the market will not open up until 1Q
    > 2003.   Keep that in mind when you're requesting a salary that's over 10%
    > of your current salary. If you are not working, I would ask for the same
    > salary as your last.

    Personally, I will never provide this information until directly asked for
    it.

    > Oh, and by the way, I don't know burger-flippers who make 65K to 110K - do
    > you?  Let's all realize that the dot.com craziness is over and come back
    > to reality.

    Well put.  I think most folks have realized this by now, but I still end
    up interviewing a few stuck in the .com mindset.

    Best Regards,
    Eric Johanson