Seeking a position in network security

From: Prashant (prashthyat_private)
Date: Tue Dec 03 2002 - 10:53:14 PST

    Hi All

    I am seeking research or career opportunities in the
    field of /network/information/computer security and
    protocols. I bring along a few years of academic
    research, about 18 months of work experience and an
    intense focus in this area.

    Key areas that I am skilled and interested in include
    network protocol design, secure-application
    development/programming, securing network stacks,
    privacy and trust management, firewalling,
    system/network administration, and security in
    ad-hoc/wireless networks.

    I am available for work for a co-op position
    from January 2003 and for a full-time from May 2003. A
    F1-EAD status allows me to work for a year, though I
    would prefer a H1B sponsorship.

    I have enclosed my resume along with this mail. Please
    do get in touch with me if this profile interests you
    or matches any positions available.

    Thanks and Regards
    Prashant Murthy

    Prashant Murthy

    prashthyat_private
    http://www.geocities.com/prashthy
    (919)961-3041

    Objective
    ---------
    To contribute my skills and knowledge to a design team
    doing leading edge development in the area of network
    security, secure systems or security in
    ad-hoc/wireless networks

    Education
    ---------
    (Since Fall 2001)
    MS Computer Science, North Carolina State University,
    USA GPA: 4.05/4.0 (A+ = 4.33)

    (Aug 1996 – June 2000)
    BE (Hons) Computer Science, Birla Institute of Tech
    and Science, India GPA: 9.11/10.0

    Work Experience
    ---------------

    (February – July ‘01)
    *	Cisco Systems, Bangalore, India
    Software Engineer, EVVBU (Enterprise Voice and Video
    Business Unit)
    Designed and developed enhanced features
    (Internationalization) of Cisco Personal Assistant, a
    speech enabled application running over Cisco IP
    phones.

    (Jan ‘00 – Feb ‘01)
    *	Hughes Software Systems, Bangalore, India
    Software Engineer, Next Generation Networks Group
    (VoIP)
    Designed and developed an RFC 2543 compliant SIP
    (Session Initiation Protocol) User Agent
    (UA) providing a GUI using GTK. Also involved in
    building a client/server framework for the
    SIP UA using C on solaris and linux.

    (May – July ‘99)
    *	Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, India
    Summer Research Scholar
    Studied various network security-related packages such
    as SATAN, NFR, Kerberos, Sniffit,
    Tcpdump, etc. Designed a firewall system for the
    network. Also made an analysis of stream ciphers.

    (May – July ‘98)
    *	L&T Komatsu Limited, India
    Summer Intern
    Ported the contract note module for the MIS department
    from VB-Access to VB-Oracle

    Teaching Assistant:
    Software Engineering (Fall 2001)
    Internet Protocols (Spring, Fall 2002)

    Research Assistant:
    Security in P2P Networks (Summer 2002)

    Computer Skills
    ---------------

    Languages
    *	C, Pascal, system programming, socket programming,
    SCSI (introductory level), kernel
    programming (introductory level), PERL, SQL, 80x86
    assembly, Java

    Platforms
    *	Windows NT/98/2000, Linux, Sun Solaris, SCO Unix

    Protocols
    *	IPSec, SIP, H.323, MPLS, LDP, CR-LDP, IP, TCP, ATM,
    RSVP, Gnutella (P2P)

    Packages
    *	Turbo C, JDK, Microsoft Developer Studio, Net
    Objects Fusion, Visio Express, GTK (GIMP
    Toolkit), Flex, Bison, MASM

    Related Coursework
    ------------------
    *	Information Systems Security
    *	Advanced Network Protocol Design
    *	Internet Protocols
    *	High Speed Networks
    *	Computer Networks
    *	Network Programming
    *	Telecom Switching Sys & Networks
    *	Multimedia Computing
    *	Operating Systems
    *	Data Structures and Algorithms
    *	Database Systems

    Academic Projects
    -----------------
    *	Security issues in peer-to-peer networks
    I am currently looking into the security issues in
    peer to peer networks as part of my
    Master’s thesis under Prof. Douglas Reeves (North
    Carolina State University).

    *	Network Security: Network Monitoring and Encryption
    Study and analysis of security related packages such
    as SATAN, NFR, Kerberos, Sniffit,
    Tcpdump, etc. Also made an analysis of stream ciphers.

    *	Design of an LDP (MPLS) compliant router/switch
    This project was intended to provide an insight into
    the stages involved in the
    development of a protocol in the industry. Provided
    functional requirements, control
    memory reqmts, test cases and router/switch
    architecture compliant with RFC 3036.

    *	Simple Reliable Transport Protocol (over UDP)
    The project involved building a reliable transport
    protocol stack over UDP on Linux and
    Solaris. It involved most of the salient features
    provided by TCP and was more efficient.

    *	Implementation of a user-level thread library and
    synchronization on Sun Solaris
    The project involved building APIs for creation,
    manipulation and destruction of user
    level threads, semaphores, condition variables and
    scheduling with preemption. The
    library has been built using LWP – the lightweight
    processes available on Solaris.

    *	Copy-on-write for the Linux Operating System (Kernel
    Programming)
    Extended the linux kernel with a file snapshot
    facility using copy-on-write.

    *	Study, design and implementation of TCP/IP over ATM
    I was involved in studying the protocols involved in
    IP over ATM, studying certain
    simulation packages (INSANE) and simulating Classical
    IP over ATM (in C on Unix)

    Publication/Copyright
    ---------------------
    *	Presented a paper titled "Formulation of an
    encryption algorithm on the basis of Molecular
    Genetics and Image Patterns" at the International
    Conference ICCIMA ’99. The proceedings
    were published by IEEE Computers Society. Obtained a
    copyright under the title "AEGIS".

    *	A survey paper on "Secure routing in Ad-hoc
    networks" (Work under progress)

    Awards
    ------
    *	National Talent Search Examination (NTSE) Scholar
    *	Summer Research Fellowship Scholar Award from Indian
    Institute of Science, Bangalore (May
    1999, May 2000)
    *	Team Award for having shown exceptional initiative
    and commitment to ensure timely delivery
    of the SIP stack product at Hughes Software Systems,
    Bangalore

    Achievements/Activities
    -----------------------
    *	Vice-President of Graduate Student Association for
    Dept of Computer Science for the year
    (2001-2002) at North Carolina State University
    *	Distinguished Member of the honor society of Phi
    Kappa Phi.
    *	BITS Pilani – President, Regional Association
    (1998-99)

    =====
    Prashant Murthy
    Graduate Student
    Dept of Comp. Science @ NC State
    http://www.geocities.com/prashthy
    "When ever you see a problem, smell money !!"