Resume of Experienced IT/Security Practitioner

From: bentaiat_private
Date: Wed Dec 04 2002 - 13:47:03 PST

    Dear Hiring Managers,

    Greetings.

    If you want a real, natural talent, and not just another "boot camp
    commando", then I am the security talent you need.

    You will find that I apply a strong desire to master underlying truths,
    and not to just follow security procedures like a cake recipe.

    Like my peers that value professionalism and skill, I possess the
    following core traits:
    + Unrestrained thirst for knowledge
    + Multi-faceted, systems thinking
    + Willingness to conquer "impossible" tasks

    In summary, my career path has encompassed:
    + 14 years technical experience in computers and electronics
    + 8 years Unix administration
    + 5 years security administration
    + Multiple certifications (CISSP, CCNA, MCSE, CNA, HP-UX Admin, CompTia
    Network+, CompTia i-NET+)
    + Currently seeking a Masters degree in Information Security

    If you think I might fit some current or future opportunities, please
    write me back or call me at 407-625-5893.

    Thank you.

    Sincerely,
    Tom Sturgeon

    ---- Begin Resume ----
    Thomas Sturgeon
    PO Box 1104
    Sorrento Florida 32776
    407-625-5893

    Qualified For:
    Information Security Analyst

    Qualifications
    • Proven, practical experience to excel in the security field
    • Adept navigator of the business and startup environment
    • Able communicator across a spectrum of audiences
    • Immediate contributor to any team

    Skills
    • CBK
    • Layered Defense
    • Footprinting
    • Enumeration
    • Security Policies
    • Unix, NT, NetWare
    • Sniffers
    • Crackers
    • Firewalls
    • Security Policies
    • BCP/DRP
    • Scanning

    Tools
    tcpwrappers, nessus, nmap, netcat, firewalk, CiscoWorks 2000, Tripwire,
    PGP, L0pht Crack, Ethereal, dd, CERT, bugtraq,tcpdump,snoop,
    snort,cryptcat, stunnel

    Programming Languages
    C/C++, JAVA, PERL, TCL/TK, Expect, BASH, Korn, LISP, x86 Assembly

    Networking
    CISCO IOS, ISO-OSI Model, SNMP, HP OpenView Network Node Manager,
    NerveCenter, ethernet, routers,
    switches, hubs, ATM, Frame Relay

    Technologies
    artificial intelligence, CASE tools, UML, OOP, project management,
    requirements management, SEI-CMM,
    RDBMS, SQL

    Certifications
    CISSP, CCNA, CompTia NETWORK+, CompTia i-NET+, HP Certified System
    Administrator (HP-UX 11.x),
    MCSE

    Special Skills
    Project management, microelectronics repair, radiological health,
    accounting, marketing and management

    Education
    B.S. Liberal Studies, Excelsior College, 2002
    • Project Management and System Engineering
    • Operating System Design and Internals
    • Organizational Communication and Management

    Computer Information Science Major, Orlando College 1995-1997
    • Database Management, Networking, Data Communications
    • Systems Analysis, Programming Logic, OOP, C/C++, PASCAL
    • Unix internals and programming, operating system theory and design

    Special Projects
    Security Consultant, Gina.net/4all2see web hosting, 1997-1999
    • Assisted in incident response for 2 major attacks resulting in root
    compromise
    • Assesed security posture with scanning tools, password crackers, log
    analysis, security mailing list
    research and basic Unix security principles recommended by Practical
    Unix and Internet Security 2nd
    Edition, O’Reilly Press

    Employment
    June 2000 - present
    Persystent Technology, Inc., Tampa, FL
    Security Engineer/Chief Systems Architect
    • Consulting for Military, Health Care and Educational Institutions
    • Designed PXE-based desktop management and security system
    • Deployed system to 2000+ client desktops
    • Desktop product responsible for 60% of revenue

    Jan 1998 - June 2000
    VERITAS/Seagate Software, Heathrow, FL
    Senior Technical Support Representative
    • Solved over 3000 network management support cases
    • Researched and created 86 technical articles on SNMP, NNM and
    NerveCenter
    • Constantly sought out as a Unix guru
    • Only HP-UX certified admin in the department
    • Highest customer satisfaction rating out of 8 member team

    Apr 1997- 1998 Jan
    Sprint Telecenters, Maitland, FL
    Customer Technical Support Representative
    • Supported Motorola Paging Gateway Software
    • Multiple Platforms (Novell, OS/2, NT)
    • RS232C
    • Supported National ISP (modem configurations, TCP/IP, DUN)

    Nov. 1995 - Apr 1997
    Florida Referral Network System, Mt. Dora, FL
    Sales Associate/Webmaster

    May 1994 - May 1995
    Diversified Electronics, Leesburg, FL
    Electronics Technician