RE: Stop me before I consult again

From: Moyer, Shawn (SMoyerat_private)
Date: Fri Dec 06 2002 - 23:58:53 PST

    Somewhere in between Clyde's tirade and Stephen's resides the truth.

    No, security is rarely, if ever, a top priority, though accepting,
    mitigating, and understanding risk should be. Having consulted for a bit
    myself, I've seen both ends of the spectrum here, and the truth is that
    there *are* companies who take IT Security more seriously than others,
    generally based on how critical technology is to their business, and what
    the nature of the threat is. For example, banks and credit card issuers will
    take IT Security far more seriously than say, a graphics design firm, based
    on their visibility and the nature of the business.

    As for vendor widgets winning out in a cost-benefit analysis, as above, this
    can be true in context, but also patently untrue as well. Closed-source
    bigots operate on the same sort of bad faith as open-source bigots. I
    provide my employer with the best tool for the job within the constraints
    I'm provided, and that can mean anything from an open source tool or OS to a
    canned solution, again, depending on the context.

    Companies don't hire brainpower??? Wow. What a narrow and depressing way to
    look at the world. There are scads of workplaces that foster individuality,
    innovation, and creativity in their corporate cultures, and I've had the
    pleasure of hanging my hat at several over the years. The secret (I suppose
    this is addressed to Stephen) is to NEVER SETTLE, and to dig in and know
    enough to stay put when you find one of these gems.

    Clyde, there's an expression from Ken Kesey: "No one else is going to take
    your bad trip for you." I think it's relevant at the moment.

    Stephen, good luck to you. Keep the faith! The diamond-in-the-rough is out
    there if you're willing to look for it, and willing to release some
    preconceptions about what exactly it might be.

    --shawn

    [ Spanner in the works rather than cog in the machine, by choice,
    inclination, preordination, and pig-headedness. Try it sometime, it's fun! ]