Re: Shutting down windows NT remotely (without winnt toolkit)?

From: Robert Freeman (freem100at_private)
Date: Sun Nov 05 2000 - 00:06:55 PST

    A reboot is helpful unless the NT box is not password protected or has an
    agent to automatically enter the password upon startup. Until an admin shows
    up the box is basically useless.

    Secondly, the ExitWindowsEx function in user32.dll can: 1) log off a user;
    2) shutdown (and power down on ACPI motherboards); 3) reboot. This function
    is utilized by shutdown.exe which can be called via WinExec or in the
    following mannor: "cmd /C shutdown."

    WinExec is accessable via the native api / INT 2E gate in the event the call
    is being debugged/hooked. Actually try NtDll.NtShutdownSystem if you decide
    to write code to use the native api (I can go into more depth on how to do
    this if you want).

    hope this helps--
    Robert