Re: some ftpd implementations mishandle CWD ~{

From: Christian Hammers (chat_private)
Date: Wed May 02 2001 - 06:10:47 PDT

    Hi

    On Mon, Apr 30, 2001 at 09:00:20PM -0400, Matt Power wrote:
    > I've recently noticed some incorrect behavior in various ftp daemons
    > when presented with the command "CWD ~{" (and other similar commands).
    > This affects ftp daemons that are considered not vulnerable to the
    > globbing issues (e.g., CAN-2001-0247) announced earlier this month.

    FYI:
    I asked the wu-ftpd-members mailing list for their opinion. Below
    is their answer. I'm still unsure if they really mean that there's no need
    to upgrade although you say that the server is DOS'able from remote...
    Or maybe it's just the one thread that crashes and the main server will handle
    others connections further on. (I haven't had time to really look at this)

    >> Date: Wed, 2 May 2001 08:55:38 -0400
    >> From: "Gregory A Lundberg" <lundbergat_private>
    >> To: "Christian Hammers" <chat_private>, <wuftpd-members@wu-ftpd.org>
    >>
    >> No need to upgrade.  It just de-references a NULL pointer and crashes.  The
    >> next version will have a fix.

    bye,

     -christian-

    --
    Christian Hammers    WESTEND GmbH - Aachen und Dueren     Tel 0241/701333-0
    chat_private     Internet & Security for Professionals    Fax 0241/911879