239.255.255.250

From: George (georgerat_private)
Date: Sun May 06 2001 - 05:44:23 PDT

    Running Windows ME or Whistler/Windows XP I have noticed that upon bootup I
    see packets addressed to 239.255.255.250 port 1900. Upon investigating this
    I find that this is some sort of multicast or broadcast network address
    that's meant for UPnP devices but for some reason if you are connected to
    the internet these packets are routed out to the internet (the local 224
    route does not cover them).

    I've posted more information about this at
    http://www.nthelp.com/upnpscrewup.htm and was wondering if anyone here can
    explain to me what this is all about? I believe it has something to do with
    IPP, UPnP, and SSDP but I don't understand what any of this has to do with
    the general internet which is where the packets are headed.

    Geo.