Details on Directory Traversal bugs

From: Neuronix (neuronixat_private)
Date: Tue May 29 2001 - 19:10:55 PDT

    Hello,

      We've see every week some kind of directory traversal bug in a
    multitude of softwares... but anyway, I'd like to know the roots of this
    kind of bug. Where did it come from? What kind of strings can be used
    to test for if a particular software is vulnerable? I intend to automate
    the process of checking, in case there's a particular pattern to be
    followed.

      Anyway, any detailed information is appreciated.

    Thanks,
    -- Neuronix