Re: un-hibernating laptop using old network settings

From: Zow (zowat_private)
Date: Tue Jul 03 2001 - 08:45:30 PDT

    > I have a feeling that there might be more subtle security issues
    > relating to hibernating a system in a trusted environment and awakening it
    > in an untrusted one, apart from user education issues, but can't put my
    > finger on any just now.

    The threat that immediately occurs to me is the reverse: having the laptop in
    an untrusted environment, then moving it to a trusted environment. Let's say
    the laptop gets cracked when it's on the untrusted net. Then the user moves
    the laptop to a trusted network where a background program wakes up and
    automatically cracks machines on the trusted network. I read about someone
    using their own laptop with such a program to do a red team assessment for a
    customer (I think it was on /. but I'm not sure). They put the program on the
    laptop (so they didn't crack their own box, but having the program introduced
    by a remote attacker is the next logical step) then they took the laptop into
    the customer site under the pretext of doing a presentation to a member of the
    technical staff. As soon as the red team member plugged into the local
    (trusted) network, the laptop started cracking servers, installing backdoors
    and punching holes in the firewall. The person claimed that during their 30
    minute presentation this automatic program pretty much took over the entire
    company's network.

    Returning to your original question, consider if the automated program didn't
    install any backdoors, it just grabbed the information the attackers wanted
    and stored that info on the laptop for retrieval once the laptop moved from
    the trusted to the untrusted network. Or even more straightforward, the user
    deliberately puts company proprietary information on the laptop when connected
    to the trusted company network and the laptop doesn't get compromised until
    it's moved to an untrusted (home perhaps?) network, whereupon the attackers
    compromise the laptop and grab the proprietary information.

    The only solution is defense in depth. The two best practices that occur to me
    in this case is to use network intrusion detectors even behind your firewalls
    and keep all your machines patched. While patching may be particularly
    problematic for laptops since they aren't always there, it's probably more
    important for them than it is for desktop systems just because of all the odd
    networks they may end up on. If you're more paranoid, consider keeping your
    laptops on a separate network or sanitize them when leaving or returning to a
    trusted network.

    My $.02,
    Terry

    #include <stddisclaimer.h>