Re: un-hibernating laptop using old network settings

From: Ron DuFresne (dufresneat_private)
Date: Wed Jul 04 2001 - 13:30:27 PDT

    How does this differ from the effects of a home pc or laptop taken from
    work to home, and used to surf the net when not used in a vpn tunnel to
    the workplace?  Same threat, yes?

    Thanks,

    Ron DuFresne

    On Tue, 3 Jul 2001, Zow Terry Brugger wrote:

    > > I have a feeling that there might be more subtle security issues
    > > relating to hibernating a system in a trusted environment and awakening it
    > > in an untrusted one, apart from user education issues, but can't put my
    > > finger on any just now.
    >
    > The threat that immediately occurs to me is the reverse: having the laptop in
    > an untrusted environment, then moving it to a trusted environment. Let's say
    > the laptop gets cracked when it's on the untrusted net. Then the user moves
    > the laptop to a trusted network where a background program wakes up and
    > automatically cracks machines on the trusted network. I read about someone
    > using their own laptop with such a program to do a red team assessment for a
    > customer (I think it was on /. but I'm not sure). They put the program on the
    > laptop (so they didn't crack their own box, but having the program introduced
    > by a remote attacker is the next logical step) then they took the laptop into
    > the customer site under the pretext of doing a presentation to a member of the
    > technical staff. As soon as the red team member plugged into the local
    > (trusted) network, the laptop started cracking servers, installing backdoors
    > and punching holes in the firewall. The person claimed that during their 30
    > minute presentation this automatic program pretty much took over the entire
    > company's network.
    >
    > Returning to your original question, consider if the automated program didn't
    > install any backdoors, it just grabbed the information the attackers wanted
    > and stored that info on the laptop for retrieval once the laptop moved from
    > the trusted to the untrusted network. Or even more straightforward, the user
    > deliberately puts company proprietary information on the laptop when connected
    > to the trusted company network and the laptop doesn't get compromised until
    > it's moved to an untrusted (home perhaps?) network, whereupon the attackers
    > compromise the laptop and grab the proprietary information.
    >
    > The only solution is defense in depth. The two best practices that occur to me
    > in this case is to use network intrusion detectors even behind your firewalls
    > and keep all your machines patched. While patching may be particularly
    > problematic for laptops since they aren't always there, it's probably more
    > important for them than it is for desktop systems just because of all the odd
    > networks they may end up on. If you're more paranoid, consider keeping your
    > laptops on a separate network or sanitize them when leaving or returning to a
    > trusted network.
    >
    > My $.02,
    > Terry
    >
    > #include <stddisclaimer.h>

    "Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
    business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation." -- Johnny Hart
    	***testing, only testing, and damn good at it too!***

    OK, so you're a Ph.D.  Just don't touch anything.