List Site Pro, an intresting number of site "hacks"

From: Siberian (siberian@sentry-labs.com)
Date: Mon Jul 09 2001 - 06:47:37 PDT

    While visiting alldas.de today I noticed that two names in the list occure
    quiet often, allways related to a so called "crack" of a topsite system (I
    don't think the system was compromised, just the site changed via the
    browser. It made me think about that someone may have discovered a
    vulnerability which is unknown to the public today. I donwloaded the whole
    thing and looked at it. First I found was this (from the readme text file):

    Directory: http://www.yoursite.com/topsites
    File: index.html - 777

    Directory: http://www.yoursite.com/cgi-bin/lspro
    File: lspro.cgi - 755

    Directory: http://www.yoursite.com/cgi-bin/lspro/protected
    File: admin.cgi - 755
    File: .htaccess - 666
    File: .htpasswd - 666
    File: admin.pl - 666
    File: data.file - 666
    File: reset_time - 666
    File: update_time - 666

    the file modified was lspro_list_header.txt I think, which permissions were
    set to 666. Are they using a simple put to modify? Is put supported by any
    webserver by default?  Or is there another vulnerability hidden in the code?
    I will start reviewing the code now, maybe you want to join =).

    Here is the vendor URL:

    http://www.listsitepro.com/

    Siberian
    CSC Sentry Research Labs