E-Mail Content Filtering Systems.

From: Aidan O'Kelly (okellyat_private)
Date: Wed Jul 11 2001 - 05:41:38 PDT

    I have been doing some testing on our e-mail filtering software here, and
    have found a number of things, I have only tested the one product, however
    I'd say more are vunreable to this type of attack. The general idea is to
    make the e-mail system think one thing, and the e-mail client think another.
    Same principal as IDS systems mimicing the behaviour of the IP stack of the
    machines behind it.

    I'm amsumming the client is Outlook/Outlook Express

    Heres a few things that our gateway trips up on.

    - Extensions with quotes.
    evilworm.v"b"s
    or even
    evilworm."v"""b"s"
    or whatever combination you want. When you open this attachment in
    outlook/outlook express it takes out the quotes... (I noticed after i ran
    Windows Update one day that outlook express stopped doing this and replaced
    the quotes with _  Outlook however does still do it.)

    - Double 'Content-Disposition' Lines
    This is probably more specific to the gateway tested, but if you put 2 lines
    for Content-Disposition, each one specificing a different filename, outlook
    uses the first one, the gateway used the second one. So you would have
    And it gets let through.

    - Outlook express and Content-Type
    Outlook express(and outlook, but not as often) will sometimes automaticly
    put an extension on an attachment if it is not given a name in the mime
    headers.
    For example if the headers for your attachment are

    Outlook Express will give it a name like ATT00012.wav
    It doesnt do it will all content-types though. A useful one would be
    application/hta
    and it will append a .hta extension on to it. Outlook only does a few, none
    of them are useful as far as i can tell. (maybe text/html, but if thats a
    problem so is any html mail)

    In general, I'd say most gateways dont take this kind of thing into
    condiseration. Thats why I'm posting to vuln-dev, maybe some of you can test
    your own mail gateways.

    Aidan O'Kelly
    Systems Administrator      okellyat_private

    Xnet - The Data Storage People
    Dublin: +353 (1) 2740 100
    Belfast: +44(28) 9073 5872
    www.xnet.ie | storageat_private

     Privileged/Confidential Information may be contained in this
     (or responsible for delivery of the message to such person), you
     may not copy or deliver this message to anyone. In such case,
     you should destroy this message and kindly notify the sender by
     reply email. Please advise immediately if you or your employer do
     not consent to Internet email for messages of this kind. Opinions,
     conclusions and other information in this message that do not relate
     to the official business of Xnet and shall be understood as
     neither given nor endorsed by it.