RE: Update to "Code Red" Worm. Its a date bomb, not time.

From: emerson.c.tanat_private
Date: Thu Jul 19 2001 - 15:53:44 PDT

    Obviously this is not going to live up to it's full potential as not
    everywhere has access to OC12 connections to the internet. However what is
    important is that the numbers are large enough that the ingress point for
    whitehouse.gov will be saturated , even if they have filtering and traffic
    shaping in place.

    The numbers quoted are entirely theoretical although we can do a bit of
    statistical modeling to improve on Marc's figures a bit.

    An easy method would be to break up the estimated 196K infections accross a
    statistical average of bandwidth accross the internet (excluding dial up's
    as these are not likely to be terribly effective in the attack, nor are
    they likely to have the right operating systems installed. In the vast
    majority of cases we are talking about servers and permanently connected
    workstations). A <Scientific Wild Ass Guess> guess is the figure is in the
    order  of 1-10 's of meg per second. I was unable to find any good reliable
    statistics about this sort of thing and if someone can point me in the
    right direction I can do the analysis and see how it compares with what we
    see tommorow.

    Even at this conservative level, the numbers are still large enough to
    totally saturate whitehouse.gov, theroetical figures or not. This sort of
    thing is difficult to stop, and the only method that is likely to work is
    to prevent worms from getting to this state in the first place. Good luck.

    Emerson