Re: Update to "Code Red" Worm. Its a date bomb, not time.

From: Blue Boar (BlueBoarat_private)
Date: Thu Jul 19 2001 - 16:06:38 PDT

    emerson.c.tanat_private wrote:

    > An easy method would be to break up the estimated 196K infections accross a
    > statistical average of bandwidth accross the internet (excluding dial up's
    > as these are not likely to be terribly effective in the attack, nor are
    > they likely to have the right operating systems installed. In the vast
    > majority of cases we are talking about servers and permanently connected
    > workstations). A <Scientific Wild Ass Guess> guess is the figure is in the
    > order  of 1-10 's of meg per second. I was unable to find any good reliable
    > statistics about this sort of thing and if someone can point me in the
    > right direction I can do the analysis and see how it compares with what we
    > see tommorow.

    Bandwidth generally won't be a problem, at least not all the way at
    the client end.  For a SWAG, use a 128kbps link.  It's probably fair to
    assume that many IIS servers will be on high-speed links.

    128,000 bps * 1/8 B/b * 60 s/min * 60 min/hr * 24 hr/day =
    more than 1.3 GB/day.

    Or, 128Kbps * 10,000 attacking web servers = 1.2Gbps, or
    about 2 OC-12s.

    					BB