Re: A code red that could bring down the net?

From: Birger Toedtmann (birgerat_private)
Date: Mon Jul 23 2001 - 01:13:19 PDT

    josh abulamhammedramashi schrieb am Sun, Jul 22, 2001 at 07:41:51PM -0700:
    * I just wanted some input on this paper I wrote, It'd
    * be nice for some input and constructive critiscm. I'd
    * like to get this to eventually make the guest writer
    * section on security focus. You can view it at
    * http://www.whoredware.com/codered.html

    You are talking about _the_ one deadliest virus.  But I think against that
    we have a cure nature lectured us about all the time: diversity.

    This is the strongest argument against M$ taking over too much market share,
    but also against *any* OS/software combination doing that, even Linux or
    Apache.

    As any virus can only attack a limited number of target holes, all services
    or OSes it can not infect secure the net.  Have the whole net supplied with
    one OS or service, someone will find a virus/worm and may bring it down
    completely.

    This is even more severe for the router market.  As Cisco has a very high
    share, suppose their IOS has a really severe hole or even a back door for
    some evil agency?  Then the net is at their hands.

    Regards,

    --
      Birger Tödtmann
      Handwerker für elektronische Netzwerke und deren Dienste