Anyone encountered this with NetCache?

From: Lincoln Yeoh (lyeohat_private)
Date: Mon Jul 23 2001 - 08:00:19 PDT

    NetCache is a transparent http caching proxy which my ISP uses.

    What I seemed to notice is that in an intercepted HTTP request, the
    _domain_ name in the request takes precedence over the actual destination
    IP address of original HTTP request packets.

    So for example if your browser tries to ask for www.securityfocus.com but
    the destination IP is actually something else (say: 198.137.240.92 coz you
    were naughty and fooled your computer), you will still get
    www.securityfocus.com. (This behaviour is quite inconvenient under certain
    circumstances - say you're trying to get a more useful set of banner
    adverts - like what's for lunch, meeting at 4pm, etc).

    Whereas if you use HTTPS, you bypass the proxies and get what you fooled
    your browser for.

    Has anyone else encountered this?

    In many transparent caching proxy setups, there's some filtering to prevent
    looping.

    But if I am correct about this behaviour it seems possible for someone to
    use this behaviour to cause looping. This is probably not a big deal of
    course. But there might be a few other interesting things one can do...

    Cheerio,
    Link.