Re: Anyone encountered this with NetCache?

From: Jeremy Sanders (jsandersat_private)
Date: Mon Jul 30 2001 - 11:49:20 PDT

    >What I seemed to notice is that in an intercepted HTTP request, the
    >_domain_ name in the request takes precedence over the actual destination
    >IP address of original HTTP request packets.

    >Has anyone else encountered this?

    This is because transparent proxies strip traffic, either via ipchains, ipfilter,
    wccp, route-maps, or some other routing trick. Some of these methods change
    the destination address, others just change the next hop address. When the
    packet is then delivered to the caching software it has the destination ip address
    of the cache server. When the caching software gets the packet the only
    clue it has as to what to get is the HTTP request header which is then backfilled
    to either the wccp device or the original source address depending on the design.

    Jeremy Sanders, CCNP CNE
    Advanced Systems Engineer
    New South Federal Savings Bank