RE: Win32.Sircam.Worm Alert.....

From: Johnson, Greg (JohnsonGat_private)
Date: Tue Jul 24 2001 - 06:31:57 PDT

    > Friday morning I recieved an email from a friend,  it looked
    > as though he was sending me a .doc to look over.
    > To my dismay, it was a worm that had infected him.
    >
    > I have found little information about this worm,  Mostly located at
    > http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.sircam.wormat_private
    >
    > The Worm will come from someone that has you on there contact
    > list, and will have a differnt subject line determined by the
    > attached file.

    Don't let the e-mail tip-off fool you.

    In our University environment we find this and related worms spread
    primarily via unprotected writeable Windows shares.  It also gets in
    when a user without up-to-date anti-virus software accesses an e-mail
    server other than our own which has an anti-virus filter. Bim-ba-boom!

    --
    Greg Johnson, MU IAT Services, 882-5008