Re: Win32.Sircam.Worm Alert - Report from Argentina

From: Mariano Vassallo (anakinat_private)
Date: Wed Jul 25 2001 - 08:03:15 PDT

    I think the subject is not random, but itīs the name of the document (be it
    a .doc, .zip , .xls or whatever) that the worm attaches to itself before it
    sends emails. In the cases Iīve seen, the subject is the same as the
    attachments name.
    The message asks the receipient for his opinion about the attachemnt, and
    since the file comes from the senders hard disk, the receipient usually
    opens it (if he doesnīt realize that the file extension is .doc.pif or
    .zip.pif, and even if he does, many people donīt know what a .pif file is)
    I think it also uses the .bat extension, but Iīm not sure.
    Iīve seen both the english and the spanish version. If you examine the file
    with notepad, thereīs a string saying it was made in mexico. I think both
    versions are in fact the same, and it must be cheking windows settings to
    know whether to propagate in english or spanish)
    LAst thing i wanted to say is that this virus has spread in Argentina very
    fast during this week (I first found it in a friends home PC on the 18th)