Network mapped drive in Win2K bug ?

From: The Borg (TheBorgat_private)
Date: Thu Jul 26 2001 - 12:08:43 PDT

    Hi,

    I don't know if this has been reported before, but I found a serious bug
    in Win2K that prevented me from logging in.
    On a NT4 workstation I have a directory where I have full control
    On my Win2K computer I have this directory mapped in windows explorer,
    to make things easy.
    Now here's the problem :
    About a week ago I changed the name of the directory on the NT4
    Workstation,
    my Win2K computer never complaint. (I also never accessed the directory
    during this week)
    Now I rebooted the Win2K computer yesterday, and after logging in with
    my profile, I get a message saying that the network connection to the
    directory on the NT4 Workstation could not be established.
    Up to here, seems logical. But, whatever option I choose, my screen
    freezes right there, showing me nothing but my background image and the
    computer does absolutly nothing anymore.
    The only option was to reboot it with hitting the reset button...

    On our NT4 Server we have a directory used by everyone and everyone has
    a network mapping in the windows explorer,
    does this feature of W2K means that I can block our entire organization
    from loggin in by changing the name of this directory on the NT4 Server
    ?

    attached mail follows:

    Hi, I don't know if this has been reported before, but I found a serious bug in Win2K that prevented me from logging in. On a NT4 workstation I have a directory where I have full control On my Win2K computer I have this directory mapped in windows explorer, to make things easy. Now here's the problem : About a week ago I changed the name of the directory on the NT4 Workstation, my Win2K computer never complaint. (I also never accessed the directory during this week) Now I rebooted the Win2K computer yesterday, and after logging in with my profile, I get a message saying that the network connection to the directory on the NT4 Workstation could not be established. Up to here, seems logical. But, whatever option I choose, my screen freezes right there, showing me nothing but my background image and the computer does absolutly nothing anymore. The only option was to reboot it with hitting the reset button... On our NT4 Server we have a directory used by everyone and everyone has a network mapping in the windows explorer, does this feature of W2K means that I can block our entire organization from loggin in by changing the name of this directory on the NT4 Server ? This seems like a mean exploit to me...