Re: A code red that could bring down the net?

From: Pete Sherwood (petersherwoodat_private)
Date: Thu Jul 26 2001 - 14:10:51 PDT

    Sven,

    Robert T. Morris  did not send what he created onto arpanet, if I recall
    correctly.
    Someone else made that mistake. Hence the reason he got the light 20
    punishment (community service) he did instead of the severe incarceration
    many *demanded* that he get. Intent is everything in the US courts! Try as
    they might, the FBI could not prove Robert "intended" to do harm.

    That aside.

    You conjecture that if code-red were your worm, you would have let it run
    in "stealth" mode for some time and collect stuff. How do you (we) not know
    that this is what has been done and that what we all have seen in the past
    few weeks wasn't the/a visible part of the "silent running" activities?
    Just a test of what is potentially to come?

    Just a thought.

    At any rate. I was never content to let what I called "ShareAware" malware
    run rampant on my organization's network and created scanning tools to
    search for vulnerable systems and malware on exposed systems. I'm curious
    how many of you are doing likewise? I have my take on this on my web page
    if you need more insight before answering.

    Pete Sherwood
    PGP and Thawte digital keys available @
    http://members.home.net/petersherwood/

    NOTE: when I first replied to the message from Sven, somehow it got
    converted to MIME and I am now resending this in plain text. Sorry if you
    get any double receipts.