'non-rfc' compliant ping command in win98/win2k - or?

From: knud_erik højgaard (knudergudat_private)
Date: Tue Jul 31 2001 - 17:44:48 PDT

    i was just wondering, maybe someone else is able to shed light on the issue.

    scenario:
    1 cisco 677 with CBOS 2.3.0

    a buncha PC's equipped with various OS'es and a TCP/IP stack.

    Ping the cisco router with a packet exactly 65500 bytes in size, and it will
    die. Well known and documented bug afaik.

    But - what are the differences in the ping command in the following OS'es ?

    win95: router doesn't crash
    win98: router crashes
    winNT: router doesn't crash
    win2K: router crashes
    Linux: router doesn't crash, tried with hping2, no effect either.
    *BSD : router doesn't crash

    as you can see the bug can only be triggered by the ping command from win2k.
    So now i ask, in my usual novice way.

    Whats the difference? why is it there? does the ping command in 98/2k send
    'illegal' data along with the packets? or are the others misbehaving? I have
    no idea.. maybe you do.

    cheers.