Re: Suspicious joe.exe

From: Josh Smith (joshat_private-networks.com)
Date: Wed Aug 01 2001 - 23:22:21 PDT

    	About two weeks ago while investigating a user on a server
    we administrate we came across someone's stash.  Included in it was
    tucanx.exe and kaiten.exe which are the same as the joe.exe you posted
    except the ones we found joined #tucanx and #kaitex.
    	Along with that we found another program that is used to
    scan subnets looking for IIS servers vulnerable to the .printer overflow.
    After exploiting it the trojan tucanx.exe is uploaded to the server and
    they connect to irc.icq.com and join a specified irc channel.
    	After a few days we were able to catch up to the only
    ircop on irc.icq.com and he shutdown all the channels by making them
    invite only, it was the best we could think to do.
    	The main purpose of these botnets seems to be to launch
    distributed Denial of Service attacks.  In addition, they can be used to
    create chaos on IRC.
    	We sent the trojan and the scanner to EEYE.
    							Thanks,
    							Josh & lockdown