Re: Sendmail-8.11.2 / persistent connections

From: Liviu Daia (Liviu.Daiaat_private)
Date: Sat Aug 04 2001 - 01:53:20 PDT

    On 3 August 2001, Lindsey Simon <lsimonat_private> wrote:
    > For the last two days we've been trying to figure out why all our
    > email clients were timing out with our mail server. I've since
    > installed postfix and that fixed the problem.
    [...]

        Actually, this problem came up on Postfix list too.  As it turned
    out, people reporting it were using MAPS RBL (that is, DNS lookups to
    relays.mail-abuse.org and friends) for rejecting spam, and RBL stopped
    servicing public queries since August 1st (they turned commercial, see
    f.i. http://www.mail-abuse.org/feestructure.html).  So, while Postfix
    does run circles around sendmail in almost any imaginable way, this
    particular issue has nothing to do with sendmail.

        FWIW, here's what people have suggested to use instead of RBL:

    	http://www.orbl.org
    	http://www.ordb.org
    	http://www.orbz.org
    	http://relays.osirusoft.com
    	http://orbs.gst-group.co.uk
    	http://www.rfc-ignorant.com
    	http://www.dorkslayers.com

        Regards,

        Liviu Daia

    --
    Dr. Liviu Daia               e-mail:   Liviu.Daiaat_private
    Institute of Mathematics     web page: http://www.imar.ro/~daia