RE: CR II - winME? confirmation?

From: Petruzel, Oliver (OliverPat_private)
Date: Mon Aug 06 2001 - 09:53:07 PDT

    Just so we're clear here, this wasnt ME who reported this to SNP, i just
    stumbled across it!  I was simply curious.  The anonymous poster of this
    seems to see "outgoing" tcp traffic in large volumes on his WinME box.  He
    differentiates between the original CR incoming and his current outgoing.

    it was so odd that i thought I would ask if it was happening in more than
    one location.
    didnt think so tho...

    -o.p.

    ps: as for Gibson's XP objections, i believe his entire point revolves
    around Raw Sockets becoming available for HOME users.  they were already
    accessable in win2k, and any 3rd-party hacked up 9x/NT box, but the threat
    was LOW because the "population" of such boxes facing the internet was low,
    WHEN COMPARED to the hundreds of millions who may end up running XP.

    Think about this:  A worm like CR which spoofs it's IP -AND- floods ebay.com
    every month for 10 days with spoofed SYN ACK's... or worse.  Just think
    about the @home network becoming 100% saturated with infected machines
    because, unlike CR which requires NT/2k w/IIS, the new variant will work
    against XP which joe schmoe just got at best buy on his new toy!!... you
    see, for now, it's only been servers to worry about.  Now, ALL home systems
    will be just as vulnerable.