Windows File Sharing and Samba

From: Kaneda Akira (k_anedaat_private)
Date: Tue Aug 07 2001 - 22:27:00 PDT

    I've noticed some strange things going on, though what's new with Windows.
    I tried to follow this up but not getting anywhere.   I use NetWatcher on
    windows 98 2nd edition to monitor the file shares on a small home LAN.  When
    I connect from a redhat machine with the netbios name set to the same name
    as the windows machine, it dosen't seem to log the connection.

    Command used:
    [root@riven /#] smbclient //windoze/c -n windoze

    After connecting, NetWatcher says no connections....
    When you don't set the netbios name to the name of the windows machine, it
    sees the connection.

    Can anyone else out there replicate this?

    Operating Systems used:
    Riven -> RedHat 7.0
    Windoze -> Windows 98 2nd edition

    Kaneda Akira
    Email:  k_anedaat_private
    ICQ#  49107701
    ---
    "There is mystery about this which stimulates the imagination; where there
    is no imagination there is no horror" - Sherlock Holmes
    ---