RE: Possible probe of port 137 using udp 50?????

From: Skinner, Kit (KSkinnerat_private)
Date: Mon Aug 13 2001 - 10:12:20 PDT

    Port 137 with protocal UDP 50 is used for NetBIOS communication.  Its often
    used by Windows machines to identify themselves and their services.  Its
    also used in the NT authentication process.

    If you have NAT enabled, perhaps the local system was initiating a NetBIOS
    session with the remote.  This would happen is someone were using the local
    system as a client to browse or authenticate against the remote.

    Another possibility, but I'm not familiar with the exact order of the steps
    would be someone logging into a Web site and the Web site offering NTLM
    authentication.  I don't know this is sound, so I would appreciate if
    someone else would confirm or deny, but if someone connected to a Web page
    or site that required authentication using NTLM it *MIGHT* send back the
    request via 137-NetBIOS to establish the authentication.  This seems like
    the wrong way to do it though.  I would assume the server would send back a
    message via port 80 telling the client it needs to authenticate via NTLM and
    the client then attempt to initiate a session.

    In any event, its not a good idea to have NetBIOS available outside your LAN
    and shouldn't be necessary, unless your applications specifically use it
    (which almost no web programs do).

    Hope this helps,
    -Kit