Re: Windows XP RC2

From: Dennis McHenry (ronmchat_private)
Date: Mon Aug 20 2001 - 20:12:02 PDT

    Geez, I'm not much for conspiracy theories, so here goes my rebuttal:

    > but what is disturbing is take a guess as to what the "default" Time
    Server
    > that gets used???
    > time.windows.com  !!!
    What would you rather that they do?  Better than MS saying to someone "Get
    ready for tens-of-millions of hits on your NTP Server...."

    > Well for every install M$ can monitor/track who is running XP that has a
    Net
    > connection.
    Dial-ups kinda screw this theory up, don't you think?  It seems like you're
    argument assumes everyone has a static IP, which is far from reality.  NAT
    kinda messes that theory up, too (time.microsoft.com will see thousands of
    requests coming from x.x.x.x, because that IP translates for an internal
    network of a Fortune 100 company, or whatever).  What useful information can
    they get from this?  I don't see any value of tracking unique IPs using
    their NTP server.  The reregistration process handles people pirating their
    software.

    > If your real paranoid one can think well if the NTP is using
    > time.windows.com what is stopping M$ from having some hidden app that can
    be
    > communicated to once they grab the IP that queries their time server?!
    The market will stop this.  No company in their right mind would put coding
    like this into their product.  It relies on one flawed premise, a flaw which
    is easily spotted:  "nobody will ever use a packet sniffer and our product."
    Besides, they could just have this "Sup3R S3krIt" application phone home.
    But they won't.

    Microsoft is a multi-billion dollar corporation.  There's one thing that
    would stop them from doing this:  turning their company into a penny-stock
    by intentionally putting a backdoor into their software.

    It's a *feature* (for real!) intended to make their customers (the one's
    that made the company into a multi-billion dollar company in the first
    place) happy.

    Of course I could be wrong, and they may be a front company for the NSA, and
    NTP could be a 5uP3R S3krIt project that actually means NSA Tracking
    Protocol.

    -Dennis