Windows XP RC2

From: Dino (slayer67at_private)
Date: Mon Aug 20 2001 - 03:36:41 PDT

    Well I am not sure if you would consider this a bug, incident, monitoring or
    a feature, but in Windows XP RC2 that we loaded this weekend
    I noticed that M$ has Network Time Client built to keep correct time.

    This is good so that we do not have to grab a 3rd party app and install it,
    but what is disturbing is take a guess as to what the "default" Time Server
    that gets used???

    time.windows.com  !!!

    Well for every install M$ can monitor/track who is running XP that has a Net
    connection.
    Yes you can simply pick another like my favorite
    "time-a.timefreq.bldrdoc.gov" and all is well, but that average user wont
    know this and may not even care, but they should ;)

    If your real paranoid one can think well if the NTP is using
    time.windows.com what is stopping M$ from having some hidden app that can be
    communicated to once they grab the IP that queries their time server?!

    Thanks for listening

    Dino