Re: Windows XP RC2

From: herrold (herroldat_private)
Date: Tue Aug 21 2001 - 09:41:17 PDT

    On Tue, 21 Aug 2001, Dino wrote:

    > I added time.windows.com to a 3rd party NTP app and it could not get the
    > time from time.windows.com.
    > I tried it on Unix also and it did not work either ;)
    >
    > Maybe there timeserver is not RF868 compliant or just typical MS-centric?

    There is the old saw about "Never attribute to malice that which
    may be explained by ignorance" ...

    If one were writing an information gathering tool, why not use a
    'two for one' approach -- Serve up known non-forged timestamps for
    time limited software such as leased applications; AND gather
    information as to the serial numbers, etc. on a remote host, using a
    variant of a protocol which supports encrypted exchanges (NTP)
    [Think MS Kerberos and its 'extension' use of a open field].

    The result might be that one's customers cannot sniff the meaning of
    a stream without having the (concealed) private key and full spec
    [Think GUID's].

    I do not believe that the people paid by Microsoft to sit around and
    devise a method to implement .NET are ignorant.  The old saw is
    inapposite here.

    ... not being paranoid, but not making assumptions. either ...

    -- Russ Herrold