Re: Micro$oft wants to dominate the world!??

From: Martin Sunnerdahl (martin.sunnerdahlat_private)
Date: Wed Aug 29 2001 - 01:55:59 PDT

    At 14.18 +0100 01-08-28, Gareth Jones wrote:
    > > My question is: is it possible to edit some dll/exe/whatever to remove
    >> this behavior (so apart from methods like adding your own
    >auto.search.msn.com
    >> record in your dns server [or hosts] and firewalling the whole msn stuff).
    >
    >Tools | Internet Options | Advanced | Do not search from the Address bar.
    >
    >> PSS: Some users (including me) are panicing and switching (back) to NS.
    >
    >The last version of netscape I used was 4.7, I'm pretty sure it did
    >something similar. Certainly Konqueror and Mozilla do, and, as with IE, it
    >is pretty easy to turn the feature off.

    I think you might have misunderstood the man. Try typing some non-existing webadress such as "www.kruugly.com" into your address bar. The results:
    Netscape: "Netscape is unable to locate the server"
    IE 5 (macintosh): "The specified server could not be found"
    IE 5 (win): BRINGS UP A NEW PAGE AT SEARCH.MSN.COM

    However, I don't think it's a biggie. Please end this thread. It's certain that Microsoft has a strange arcane agenda, but that should be news to noone;)

    cheers,

    //Martin