Re: CodeGreen beta release (idq-patcher/antiCodeRed/etc.)

From: Blue Boar (BlueBoarat_private)
Date: Wed Sep 05 2001 - 10:34:52 PDT

    Meritt James wrote:

    > Clever tool with immoral, unethical and possibly illegal use.

    I let this through so that *I* could reply, not the whole list. :)

    Most tools have immoral, unethical, and possibly illegal uses.

    However, we really don't need another full disclosure debate again, yet.
    At least not here... we've met our quota for the quarter.  I've
    stopped some outright flames, but they are leaking through along
    with some of the useful technical replies.

    These guys obviously did their work in private to begin with.  They
    let us see, or they don't.  I'd rather see.

    Regardless of how good an idea I think worm and virus writing,
    or strikeback is, I support people's right to create them.  As far
    as I'm concerned, the only person who does something wrong in
    this type of situation is the person who releases or uses it in the
    wild.  Doesn't matter if it's on purpose or on accident.  I
    realize that the law may not agree with me, either now or later,
    or perhaps in other places.  However, I believe I'm legal running
    vuln-dev the way I do, and I plan to continue.  I should also
    remind people that if you post to the list something you've done
    that may be illegal, I almost certainly will approve it.  I'm
    not going to let myself be the only one you've admitted it to,
    and there are plenty of law enforcement and government subscribers
    on the list.

    It's a free speech thing.  You may not like what <insert hate group>
    has to say, but you have defend their right to say it.

    That's a long-winded way of me saying that I will be cutting off
    any debate about whether any sort of "Code Green" is a good idea,
    and will be permitting posts about the technical details.

    In general, this list is not appropriate for virus/worm authoring,
    or help with general debugging.  However, some topics are
    obviously of interest from time-to-time due to current events.

    					BB

    P.S. http://www.newsbytes.com/news/01/169707.html