Re: AW: CodeGreen beta release (idq-patcher/antiCodeRed/etc.)

From: Markus Kern (markus-kernat_private)
Date: Thu Sep 06 2001 - 11:24:03 PDT

    Steinhart Alexander wrote:

    > >Clever tool with immoral, unethical and possibly illegal use.
    > I would not like to discuss here the moral... It's question of the time
    > and a (Anti)Worm is free, but I don't hope this a Scriptkiddy who set a
    > beta version into the world...
    >
    > My question, whether it participates meaningful one antiworm, to let
    > stop at a certain time and not with a certain percentage (I hope
    > millionth... part) of found servers to "patch"?

    I don't know if I've fully understood you but I think you're asking if it
    wouldn't be better to make an anti-worm stop after a certain percentage
    of hosts have been patched than after a certain time has passed.

    Assuming that the malicious worm is scanning the net randomly the anti-worm
    could monitor the frequency of intrusion attempts and shut itself down if
    the rate falls below a certain threshold.

    An interesting idea I didn't think of when coding CRclean.

    regards,
    Markus Kern