Re: CodeGreen beta release (idq-patcher/antiCodeRed/etc.)

From: .MetsyS. (stfat_private)
Date: Thu Sep 06 2001 - 15:20:20 PDT

    Hey all,

    Well a very interesting discussion indeed, but I don't want to fill up
    vuln-dev'ers mailboxes with polical debate, thx to BB for letting us thrash
    it out for a bit longer.

    I shall try and be brief.

    I agree, I think I was too hasty to say "lets let this loose becuase it's
    cool" LOL, defintly not a good enough reason, however AVV in my book
    definetly has a future and much thought needs to be given to any release.

    1. I very much respect Der HexXer and Markus Kern for their effort and
    talent for coding, somebody was bound to have releaseed something like this
    to the public and I am very fortunate to have the opprotunity to read thier
    code and thank them.

    IF the law were to go after them I am exessivly dissapointed, software like
    this is like a tool as far as i'm concerned, if somebody throws a hammer
    through my window do I chase the person who threw it, or chase the
    manufacturer of the hammer ?

    (I feel sorry for Dmitry Sklyarov, down with DMCA and cyber-treaty.)

    This does not have malicious intenet and is a great solution to a pain in
    the ass problem which is still filling up my logs and as Ron DuFresne
    points out contacting admins is sometimes as useless as the tits on a bull.

    2. I do not like the idea of M$ or Symantec doing something like this.. not
    sure why, just gut intinct does not trust large corps, especially if the
    worm is closed source.

    I admit a worm like this (any worm) is dangerous and may have unforseen
    affects, though I must say I like passive infection as it does not consume
    exessive bandwidth.

    I am curious to see the impact of the relase in the wild of code green.

    Here is my outline for the release of AVV (Anti Virus Virri).

    1. There must be a certain amount of time for a malicious worm to be out in
    the wild to allow those with a clue to patch their boxes, I suggest 1-2
    months depending on the severity of the worm/virus.

    2. AVV MUST be open source.

    3. AVV MUST use passive/retalitory infection.

    4. The code should be a community effort.

    5. AVV MUST have an expiry date (suggest 3 months from release).

    6. Due to laws in place obviously the worm should be released in a country
    that does not have hacking laws.

    .MetsyS.