Re: CodeGreen beta release (idq-patcher/antiCodeRed/etc.)

From: Kev (klmitchat_private)
Date: Thu Sep 06 2001 - 06:36:36 PDT

    > Okay I may be wrong on this, but I read somewhere that the FBI is
    > actually trying to contact the owners of 6000 computers to inform them
    > that they have been infected.  Wouldn't this kind of "good worm" screw
    > that up?  And I can't believe after all this media hype and after all
    > these advisories and discussions, that there are still some people out
    > there that aren't aware that their system is infected.  But I'm sure it
    > will get better...even NT admins run windozeupdate from time to time,
    > which I heard patches the bug.  Just my $0.02 :-D

    Unfortunately, all the world's not the USA (much to the chagrin of many
    of my fellow citizens, it seems).  Also, there are many, many, many
    clueless admins out there; anybody that has to deal with script kiddies
    knows just how often Korean (for instance) hosts are broken into and used
    for all sorts of nefarious purposes.  90% of the time, I'm unable to even
    report spam to the open relays in that country, because not only is
    postmaster@ not even present, the contacts listed in whois.nic.or.kr just
    point into never-never land.  I fear we will never see the end of this
    particular problem :/
    --
    Kevin L. Mitchell <klmitchat_private>