RE: CodeGreen beta release (idq-patcher/antiCodeRed/etc.)

From: Everhart, Glenn (FUSA) (GlennEverhartat_private)
Date: Fri Sep 07 2001 - 06:20:58 PDT

    The legalities trail the technical realities here.

    Consider that if someone starts throwing punches at you, you are
    generally allowed to throw punches back and are not required merely
    to attempt to block the punches thrown.

    We should think about the poor security of platforms out there,
    the lack of proper administration of many (most?) of them, and
    realize that we are dealing with attacking engines, not attacking
    people. Where the attacker is a person, as the law has generally
    been set up to assume, then response directed at that person only
    is the appropriate model. Here, the attacker is an autonomous
    agent.

    Probably the closest analogue in the non-cyber world is a disease.
    How do we deal with an epidemic? At least some of the time, massive
    and compulsory vaccination, and compulsory isolation of the infected,
    has been done to contain such events. A second analogue would be what
    happens when some new plant or animal gets introduced where it has
    no natural enemies, and new predators must be brought in as well to
    control it.

    We should consider that this may be a decent model to think about in
    this case. Yes, the counter-virus invades vulnerable machines. Note
    that in an epidemic situation, those who have already been treated (or
    who may have recovered and are naturally immune) are not vaccinated.
    Note too that in epidemic situations a few folks get the disease from
    the vaccine. Here we are dealing with something that seems similar
    to a public health problem, caused by infectious agents, and a population
    which is overly susceptible to them.

    What is the best way to deal with such?

    I would love to see rules in place that imposed costs on the makers of the
    vulnerabilities where they repeatedly designed in security-reckless ways.
    Machines don't have the same rights as people: it is not contrary to
    legal custom to require they be designed safely and that failure to
    follow safe design and construction practice leads to product liability.
    Such liability must be crafted so that it takes hold when a program
    is sold or is represented as ready for mass use; that is where most
    of the "public health" danger exists.

    However the population of systems already out there needs to be dealt with.
    A remedy should be crafted which will, like a vaccine, increase the strength
    of the system being immunized, and it should not impede later
    immunization against other problems nor damage too many vulnerable systems
    with unusual configurations.

    In medicine, there is a known group of workers who know the subject and
    can devise vaccines, which works with government agencies which decide when
    they get released.

    In computer security, it appears that those able to devise remedies are much
    more widely scattered and largely self-taught (and often superbly well
    taught
    in this way). Government is not well coupled in this space, so that the
    quiet
    interaction in the background with expert labs is likely not to be very
    effective here.

    I view it as entirely appropriate for someone to come up with a proposal and
    to have it discussed openly among people who can examine it. I consider it a
    trial formula for a vaccine or antibiotic, suitable for experimentation in
    controlled circumstances, and well suited for discussion.

    A list like this can make a positive contribution by working out design
    principles
    for how to deal with issues like this best, starting with some of the basic
    design principles and proceeding to the details. This is not well served by
    piling on the initial discussor and telling him "this is illegal". We need
    discuss what the law should be and needs to be, illuminated by understanding
    the technology and what it can and cannot do, and work out some principles
    under which it may be decided to release a vaccine or a predator which can
    then
    be legislated. It may well be that some systems should be preemptively
    strengthened
    en masse, given the availability of a well designed strengthener designed
    and known openly.

    People like those on this list should be taking part in such decisions,
    along
    with the government, and not leaving this work in the hands only of vendors
    who made the vulnerabilities in the first place and who may not be inclined
    to do any more than address published holes.

    Solutions should be general in nature, as much as possible, should be
    insensitive
    to details of configuration (to do as little collateral damage as possible)
    (which
    will mean using published interfaces in likely practice), and need to be
    well
    discussed and well tested before use in the wild.

    This is enough for one message.

    Glenn C. Everhart
    (everhartat_private)